Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hello!

My name is Garrett.

I live at home and work as a drug-runner for a pharmacy.  In my spare time I like to draw, play Super Mario Strikers, and work on my post-moves*.  When I grow up I am going to be a Cartoonist!  I have maintained a website at www.grtoons.com that displays my cartoons and caricatures.  This spring I am hoping to make a pilgrimage to New York City where I will try to make it in the creative field.

Until then, I'll just keep cranking out 'toons.

I recently had another idea for a cool blog, and inspired by the movie Julie & Julia, I started work on it today.  This idea will start as a blog, evolve into a podcast, and, with a little luck, become the most listened to radio show in the country.  
I have always been amazed by the power that music has to move people.  In this portion of the blog I will create a detailed movie scene, and choose a song that compliments it.  In the show I will do two scenes myself, an in-studio guest will do another one, and I'll read one more that was submitted through e-mail.  Here is an example...

This scene is from a movie about a young man named… Bob, whose girlfriend breaks up with him. They had been dating for years and he thought they were happy, but she felt that he had no direction in life and she wanted to break it off so they wouldn’t waste any more time with each other.  She breaks up with him on a Wednesday so he has to drag himself to work on Thursday and Friday, completely miserable.  For the next two days he has stubble on his face and his hair is disheveled.  His friends get the news about the break-up when one of them notices on Facebook that Bob’s girlfriend changed her relationship status to, “Single” while his remains set as, “In a relationship.”  Like good friends do, they take him out that Saturday and they get him drunk.

Bob wakes up the next morning on his apartment floor wearing just his boxers and one sock.  He realizes that he is going to be sick and scurries to the bathroom.  He splashes water on his unshaven face and looks at himself in the mirror.  He takes a deep breath, walks into his bedroom, and plops down on his bed.  The sun is shining brightly through the blinds and he has to squint.  Then this song begins to play…Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again

The camera shoots him from the back and you can see how pretty the weather is outside.  He sits up straight on his bed and gives his body a mighty stretch.  He rubs his eyes and his face starts to brighten up just a bit.  He starts to look around his room at the mess from his drunken stumbling the night before.  Clothes strewn about, half eaten five-dollar foot-long, TV repeating the home screen of his Old School DVD.  He presses a towel onto the spot where a near-full bottle of beer tipped over.  He goes through the pockets of the jeans he was wearing the night before to find a melted KIT-KAT, a pile of one-dollar bills and a napkin.  He opens the folded napkin to reveal the name Allison and a phone number.  He smiles to himself and continues to clean up his room. (Ahh, everything is going to be ok.)

So here is what you are in for when you read this blog... Brand new cartoons as I make them, movie scenes and songs that will tug at your heart strings, critiques of commercials that I don't like or that don't make sense, and a couple of passages from my worldview.
Example: In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  But in this land where most everyone has two eyes, his glass eye is very unsettling. 

*post-move: A maneuver performed at or around the basket in the game of basketball.  See also: dream-shake, up-and-under

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, this will be a welcome distraction, especially when I am trying to find something with which to entertain myself during the monthly 3-week lull between the time at which my exhausted basic Netflix subscription rolls over to the new month and the week it takes me to rifle through my 'watch instantly-s' and 2 mailings.

    ReplyDelete